Monday, July 22, 2013



Yellow Curry Peanut Noodles:

Asian (Con)Fusion


I have loved making this is dish for quite some time. My wife is NOT a fan of curry and even she digs it. I think that's mostly because the peanut butter is the lead character in this story. The curry is the co-star. And man do they work well together. 

Ever since I discovered curry, I've kinda been obsessed with it. I haven't found a curry of any particular type or from any particular country that I haven't liked. Not saying it doesn't exist and not saying I've tried them all, because I haven't. Which is cool with me because it just means I have more took forward too. I'm just saying I haven't found it yet. And that's cool with me too.




This recipe, to me, screams Thai. And it probably is now that I've had my way with it. But even prior to that, before I massacred it with love, I would still call it Thai. However, I visited several sites that had similar recipes and, even though nobody has given any history of it, they all seem to claim it's Chinese. That being said, let it be heard here and now, that my official contention is that this is a Thai dish. Okay, well maybe not actually Thai. Let's say, Thai influenced. Or even more accurately, Americanized Thai / Italian fusion (only because I serve it over linguine noodles). I suppose in the long run, it doesn't really matter

Now I don't want to add to the confusion here but this recipe usually calls for red curry paste. However, on one occasion, I didn't have red curry paste on hand so I used the yellow curry I did have and I actually liked it more. 




I kicked around the idea of writing this blog with red curry in the title because that's what you'd typically find in this dish. But then I thought screw that man! This is my blog and my recipe. I have 100% creative freedom here! So yellow curry it is my friends. Now and forever. Unless of course, all I have on hand is red curry. Then it's the other. Really, it's fantastic either way. I just happen to prefer it with the yellow curry so if I have them both on hand, which I usually do, it always gonna be the yellow. 

Okay, one more wonderful wrench in the machine. I wanted this dish to be served as a main. A hot pasta dish served with salad on the side. As with all the other recipes I found, it's usually served cold or at room temperature. What can I say? A guy wants what a guy wants. And I wanted a warm dish.   




Although this dish is completely different in the end, it was definitely influenced by this recipe found on Appetite For China. Props are certainly due. 



Yellow Curry Peanut Noodles


Ingredients: 


  • 1 lb dried linguine
  • 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 4 Tbsp yellow (or red) curry paste
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 15 oz can of coconut milk
  • 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
  • unsalted peanuts, chopped
  • cilantro, chopped
  • lime wedges 

Preparation: 

1. Cook the pasta per the package directions. Drain and set aside.

2. In a medium sauce pan over a medium heat, combine peanut butter, curry paste, vegetable broth, coconut milk, lime juice, sugar, pepper flakes, and salt. Stir constantly until the mixture come to a simmer.

3. Lower the heat and continue to simmer, stirring constantly for 3-4 minutes. It's important you stir constantly, otherwise the sauce can scorch onto the pan. 

4. Put the drained noodles into a large bowl and stir in enough of the sauce the coat the noodles. You may not need all of the sauce as you don't want the noodles swimming in the sauce, just coated.

5. Serve and garnish with the cilantro, peanuts, lime wedges and additional pepper flakes if you like more of a bite.  


Serves: 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment