Sunday, January 5, 2014

Buttermilk Ranch Dressing:

Simple and Delicious



I never was one to dip fries into ranch dressing. After all, I'm a card carrying ketchup fan (although that is slowly dying in me and for that I mourn). But there is a restaurant chain that I frequent that pretty much just brings ranch dressing with your fries and I gotta say, it's grown on me. And it's not like the kind you find in the bottle, which is fine I suppose, but the bottled ranch dressing never really grabbed me either. In fact, there isn't a bottled dressing out there that I truly love. I seem to have better luck making my own. 




With my new found love of fries dipped into ranch, I embarked on a mission to find a good ranch dressing recipe that would rival the ones I find in restaurants. And I did find one a while back that is really good, but in it's own "very tasty but not really authentic" kinda way. I do like it and I've used that recipe for a while now but it's more complicated than I think is necessary and it wasn't what I really wanted.  

Then a few weeks ago, my wife were out for a bit of lunch and the place we were eating at had a wedge salad on the menu. Now I know these things have been around for a while but some reason, I've never had one before. Why? I don't know, I just never did. I'm slow sometimes. Hell, I only realized three years ago that Led Zeppelin was a kickass band . So I ordered one of these things and I was instantly hooked.

I came home and searched online for recipes to make my own. Don't laugh. I get that it's pretty self explanatory by just looking at the thing but I looked anyway. I'm weird that way. But I'm glad I did because it inadvertently lead me to the inspiration for this recipe. 

I'm sure I don't have tell you that sometimes, simple is better, less is more, etc. And that is certainly the case here. This recipe is easy and quick and delicious.




This recipe was inspired by this one here.


Buttermilk Ranch Dressing


Ingredients: 


  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 5 Tbsp sour cream
  • 6 Tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 Tbsp chives, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • a few dashes of hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
  • salt and pepper to taste

    Preparation: 

    1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined. 

    Makes about 1 1/2 cups  




    No comments:

    Post a Comment